Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Stop Worrying

Every once in a while God does a super effective job of reminding me that I don't follow my own advice. Some time ago I wrote a devotional called Worry. The book of Proverbs is very correct when it states that worry weighs a person down. So why am I still worrying?

The answer is simple, I'm a compulsive worrier. Yet, I'm a child of God so why am I worrying? In Phillipians 4:6 we are admonished that we should be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and petition, with thanks-giving present your requests to God. So why are there so many Christians who are compulsive worriers like me.

We believe in a God for whom doing the impossible is like taking out the trash, it's normal and it's routine. He doesn't have to work hard to fix anything, he just does it. What irks us humans, is the fact that he does it in his own time. I know for sure that I'd like my problems solved by the end of the day but God knows the right time to do everything. He doesn't take our problems away just because we worry about them. Neither does he expect us to sit there all day worrying about them either. What He does expect is that we'll turn everything over to him and then be comforted in the fact that the creator of the universe has got our backs.

1 Peter 5:7 says to give all your worries and cares to God for he cares about you. ALL your worries and cares, not some. Sometimes I wonder if worry does not stem out of a lack of trust. We can say we trust God at face value and we may even trust him with a few little things, but I've found that when big things happen I tend to try to fix my problems on my own. Unconsciously, I behave like I don't trust God to handle my big things. Even though I pray and ask for his help, when I leave the foot of the cross, I take my burdens back with me.

Now, I know I'm not the only person who does that! So today, my little bit of encouragement is really just a reminder. STOP WORRYING! You've already prayed about the situation. You've already asked God for his help. He's already promised to sort things out for you, so please stop worrying. Stop losing sleep. Stop fussing, fretting and thinking till your hair falls out. Trust God to sort your situation out and sit back and watch him work.

Yeah, trust me, I know that it's easier said than done, I live it every day. Sometimes you just have to remind yourself. So right about now, we're going to do a practical exercise.

  1. Grab a few pieces of paper and a marker. 
  2. Pick up your bible and your favorite concordance or topical bible (the internet may be a better tool for this step)
  3. Search for every scripture verse you can find related to the word worry. 
  4. Highlight every promise God has made to us about taking care of our situations
  5. Write them down on your scraps of paper
  6. Every night, stick a new scrap of paper up on your mirror with a different scripture verse. That way, every morning whilst you prepare for work, you'll be reminded that God has got it under control! 
Be blessed and stop worrying! 

Joana James - Author of From Redemption to Maturity,   Nightmare at Emerald High & Alana and Alyssa's Secret & Finding Romeo 

5 comments:

  1. i really like this melissa. May God bless you. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome post, Melissa. I too really needed this reminder--more like "kick in the pants." It's been one of those weeks ;)

    Hugs,

    Chana

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have gotten so used to living according to our senses that applying faith becomes secondary instead of being being the default. We each need a "reset" every now and then to restore "factory" settings.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Keep em coming Mel!! I call my self a worry wort, but i guess im nt alone!! Great post!! :D

    ReplyDelete