Monday, April 1, 2013

Making a list

In my church we're taught constantly that having a clear vision is important for any organisation. It's something that we see in real life almost everywhere. Every successful organisation that you walk into has a vision and mission statement that's prominently displayed. They teach it to the their staff, explain the way forward and then expect people to work toward those goals. This is a good example of a biblical principle used in the world successfully. (Habakkuk 2:2)

So I began to wonder, what if I applied this to myself. I mean, I have goals for my own life; there are things that I'd like to see happen in my life. So why not write down my own vision? Why not create for myself a statement that says where I want to go and how I plan to get there? Sounds like a good idea right.

So, here I get down to the real subject of this post: Making a list. See, as a much younger Christian, I was taught that giving God a list was a no-no. I guess the reasoning behind that was based on the "God is not our bellboy" theory. Over the years I've learned that presenting God with a list has some merit. I still believe that God isn't my bellboy and I can't just go asking him for this, that or the other just 'cause I feel like it, however,  I believe that making a list is simply a matter of gathering your thoughts clearly on paper. Some things don't make sense until we write them down.

Goals, visions, plans etc should align with what God has in store for us so writing this stuff down should basically be saying, Lord, this is what I desire for myself. If you've been in a close relationship with God, communicating with Him daily, then it will be a no-brainer to have your plans line up with His. Communion means communication, this usually adds up to agreement. We Christians tend to have the belief that "God knows what I want" and we don't verbalize anything. Yes, God knows our thoughts, but I believe that He still wants us to ask for what we desire. Why else would Christ advise us in Matthew 7:7-8 to “Keep on asking, and you will receive what you ask for. Keep on seeking, and you will find. Keep on knocking, and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks, receives. Everyone who seeks, finds. And to everyone who knocks, the door will be opened."

I firmly believe that a lot of us don't have what we desire most because we don't ask. Or, because we ask and then we do nothing about it. So back to making a list. When we start of making our lists, it appears that we are presenting God with a list of demands, however, what I've found is that we're creating a list for our own selves to follow. Your list is your vision, the things you want to accomplish with your life. Your list reminds you of where you're going and it makes it easier to plan to get them. The list helps you keep focused on your real goals. The list can also show you which desires are most shallow. Just like you won't vocalize your most embarrassing thoughts to your friends, you won't put something you know deep down that you shouldn't have on your list that you present to God. Even if you do, He'll come back and remind you that you shouldn't have it. Eventually, if you're mature enough, that item will drop off the list.

Sometimes, your life just needs a visual reminder of what you need to accomplish in order to accomplish it. When I was a young girl I'd take scripture verses to my mirror so that I could memorize them. Later, I stuck important sayings on my wall so that I'd live by them. This is pretty much the same thing.

If you've found it difficult to focus on a plan for your life, make a list and present it to God. Let Him tweak it and remind you what is most important. He might even add some things to the list. Be open to His correction then move forward with your life with a plan in hand.

Be wise, write your vision.



Joana James - Author of From Redemption to MaturityTrusting God with your Future,   Nightmare at Emerald High & Alana and Alyssa's Secret & Finding Romeo 

1 comment:

  1. Amen!! thanks Mel... I will definitely take your advice... It does help because when I was in secondary school, I had to remind myself of alot of things and I had to write the scriptures on my wall to remember what God had promised to me...

    ReplyDelete