Saturday, February 25, 2012

Wait, Wait, Wait....

Wait on the Lord....you hear it every day. Wait for a husband, wait for a new car, wait for a new house, wait, wait, wait. If you're anything like me then you probably have barely any patience and you find waiting a bit over rated. Too bad, because people like me always end up having to go back to the start and do stuff over the way God wanted us to in the first place.

I've learnt the hard way that God tells us to wait for a reason. Several broken hearts later, I understand why He said to WAIT for a husband. In our own human judgement we believe that something is good for us, when in fact it may be the worst thing that could ever happen to us. I could have saved myself a lot of grief by waiting.

Now for that house, or maybe even my own apartment, It's a good thing right? I'm an adult, I need my own space, yet God says to wait. As a matter of fact, several things have been blocking my progress in that regard and for a long time I was angry because I felt trapped. Now, looking over my finances a bit more carefully, I realise that had I moved from my parents house when I wanted to, my dream of owning my own home would take far longer to happen. Why? Because, the money I am saving now, is money that I would have to pay out in rent. hmmm....

So maybe God does have a plan. So why doesn't he just tell us the whole plan in the beginning, that way, we wouldn't go about doing silly things to screw it up? Well, maybe because we can't handle the plan. If God tells us about every step we must take in order to get to our destination, we'd freak out and run. I know I would. If I knew all the stuff I would have had to endure in order to grow as a Christian, I would have checked out of Christianity as early as I got in.

We're told that a diamond is created under tremendous pressure and extremely high temperatures at great depths in the earth's mantle over an extremely long period of time. Yet, it emerges as the most precious gemstone and one of the hardest substances known to man. Without taking the pressure or the heat, the diamond would be another worthless rock. Any less time, and it would still be another worthless rock.
Amazing huh?

The next time you feel inclined to complain about the wait, or the pressure or the heat or your life, remember the diamond's process. Do you want to come out as a precious gem or a worthless rock? I don't know about you, but I'll choose to be a diamond....so I have to learnt to have some patience.

For evildoers shall be cut off: 
but those that wait upon the LORD, 
they shall inherit the earth. 
Psalm 37:9 (KJV)

But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; 
they shall mount up with wings as eagles; 
they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint. 
Isaiah 40:31 (KJV)



See similar post Don't wait too long

Joana James - Author of Nightmare at Emerald High & Alana and Alyssa's Secret

4 comments:

  1. My husband told me this was a great post, and he was right! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mary, I'm glad you liked it.

      Delete
  2. Thousands of inspirational books and the Bible will reveal the benefits of waiting. But there are also cases where acting quickly is encouraged. Procrastination can be our worst enemy. "Yes", "No", "Wait"—we've been taught in church that this is how God usually answers prayer. Sometimes, I feel there is a 4th answer: "Why did you wait?" And we would be old by the time we realize it. They say good things come to those who wait but—oftentimes—great things come to those who don't wait...forever. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment Sharon, maybe one day soon, I'll write the other side to this article, "Waiting for too long."

      Delete