Sunday, February 19, 2012

A Test of Faith

Yesterday was an incredibly difficult day for me, for reasons that I cannot yet disclose. However, my faith is being testing...and I was scared to death that I may fail this one. Until, I sat back and reminisced and realised that God was showing me, through a series of little things that he's still there and he still cares.

It is easy to tell others to have faith in difficult circumstances. It is easy to have faith yourself, in your own small circumstances. But it is when the major things happen, the things that seem to make no sense, you realise that having faith is an expression of faith itself.

Several times people ask, "If there is a God, then why are children suffering all over the world?" Or we may take it home, we may lose a loved one and be angry at God. We may say "God, my mother was faithful to you her whole life, why did she have to suffer like that in the end?" I've known several people who've lost faith that way, and before it happens to you, you simply think...."How sad."

But today, I understand how easy it is to lose faith....and I'm determined not to lose mine. Two of my favourite verses of Scriptures of all time come from the book of Jeremiah:

For I know the plans I have for you,” says the LORD. 
“They are plans for good and not for disaster, 
to give you a future and a hope. Jeremiah 29:1(NLT)

“I knew you before I formed you in your mother’s womb. 
Before you were born I set you apart and 
appointed you as my prophet to the nations.” Jeremiah 1:5 (NLT)


These are very significant verses for me, because for a long time, I questioned my worth and I felt like there was no path laid out for me. I didn't think I was any good at any thing. But years later, I've found my worth and these verses take on new meaning for me. Now I know, that in spite of my circumstances, God is in control. His plans are plans for good and not for disaster. Even though my current situation may feel disastrous, I know that my God has plans to give me a future and a hope. And when my God sets out our future....it's always awesome.

So, as I walk through this turbulent time....I'm going to take my own advice and keep on trusting God.  I take comfort in Romans 8:28 (NLT)

And we know that God causes everything to 
work together for the good of those who 
love God and are called according to his purpose for them.

Maybe a tad cliché...but incredibly true!

Joana James - Author of Nightmare at Emerald High & Alana and Alyssa's Secret

2 comments:

  1. Mel, so thankful that you have determined to press on and fight on! I don't know what you are going through, but here is a prayer for you--Dear God, I ask that You fill Mel with Your incredible Comforter today. May she feel her faith renewed and strength for the journey return to her in full measure. Your word tells us darkness is on every side of us, but the path is straight and we will never stray from it if we follow the Light that is Jesus. In the name of Jesus, amen!Blessings, sister!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Charmaine! It feels so good to know that I have so many people praying with me.

      Delete