Monday, September 10, 2012

Trusting God with your Future

Until very recently, it was hard for me to let go of my plans for myself and for my future. It wasn't that I didn't trust God to take care of me, but not knowing EXACTLY how things were going to turn out and what direction we would be going in was killing me.

You see, like a lot of Christians, I wanted to trust God on my terms. I wanted to provide the road map and simply instruct God to make it work. But guess what, it doesn't work that way. God doesn't work according to our plans, He works only on His terms. Why does He work like that? Because He has the BIG picture. You see, God knows what lies ahead for us at every turn in the road. He knows when the devil is going to attack, why and how. So don't you think it is a good idea to trust the person with all that knowledge.

This is probably my third post on trust, simply because it is a huge issue for me and I know, a huge issue for a lot of other Christians. I'm going through a very difficult time right now and through most of it, I've managed to keep a smile on my face. Yesterday, somebody looked at me thoughtfully and told me "You know, you're a very strong person." I simply smiled without responding because I know how much I cry and scream at night when there's no one around. I know how much I yell at God for not allowing things to work out my way. But I'm still smiling right? Why? Because through everything, even though things are not working out exactly as I want them to, God holds my future in His hands, and I've finally figured out the secret, His plans for my future are excellent, even though I don't know exactly what they are.

I've found new meaning in the phrase, "The joy of the Lord is my strength" because the smile on my face is God's response to my prayers. I can smile genuinely and be joyful even when I am not happy and that's what keeps me sane. That's what keeps me able to function when my world seems to be falling apart. There are some things as a Christian that you'll never really understand until you experience it and for me, this was one of them.

So, I've finally learnt to trust God with my future, and daily, when I'm tempted to scream at God, I'm reminded, "Trust me with you Future". It's a giant step but it really helped to know that the master of the universe is interested in what you're going to eat tomorrow.

Through trials and adversities, if we learn to stand still a moment knowing that our God is awesome and interested in us, we could learn to trust his plans for our future, we could learn to lean on Him and not worry so much. We could learn to smile when we've lost our jobs, our hope and maybe even a little faith, not because we're happy but because we've got a joy that will never go away.

Trust God with your future, His plans are perfect and will work if you don't interfere.

Remember:
When the oceans rise and thunders roar,
He will soar with you above the storm.
Be still, know that he is God!

Trust God with your future! (Jeremiah 29:11)



This devotion and others like it can be found in one book (kindle or paperback)
To purchase, simply click the link below.


Joana James - Author of From Redemption to Maturity,   Nightmare at Emerald High & Alana and Alyssa's Secret & Finding Romeo 

4 comments:

  1. And the introspection begins for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally understand and can relate to your situation- learning to trust God, discovering joy and when the world sees strength we see and experience so much more; thus making the word unfitting in describing ourselves. But I will say this: YOU ARE STRONG JOANA- we all are if we all tap into that strength. It lies not in your tears, nor your frustrations and screams but in the fact that you can getup every single morning and face the world

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are in the land of the living- and God's strength allows you to carry through the day. His strength is your daily boost- keep carrying on His grace is sufficient!

      Delete
  3. thanks for the post. I think it is especially relevant in current economy climate, every where you turn you see university graduates who either could not find jobs ( after sending out literally hundreds of CVs), or settle for something way less than they are qualified for, it is SO HARD to trust God in a time like this and more importantly, He is our father who cares about us more than we ever know.......

    ReplyDelete