Friday, February 3, 2012

Trusting God


Trust is a small word with five little letters; yet a mountain to climb. Trust involves giving away control of some degree or aspect of your belongings, your emotions or your life.

It’s relatively easy to trust someone with your belongings. We lend our friends our books, our cars or even our houses. Trusting others with our emotions might be a little bit more difficult however, we eventually get to the point where we give in. With our lives – that’s whole other ball game. To give over control of the direction your life takes to somebody else is sometimes unfathomable.

But, that is what God requires of us. Proverbs 3:5-6 says to “Trust in the Lord with all your heart; do not depend on your own understanding.  Seek his will in all you do, and he will show you which path to take.” Can we really wait for God to tell us which path to take? If you’re impatient like me, you probably don’t like that scripture verse very much. Sometimes I feel like God is taking too long to make stuff happen and I want to do it myself. I’ve found that I always make a bigger mess of things. Exercising a little bit more patience and trust in the one who engineered me always brings the right result at the right time. So why do I/we always try to go back and take control of stuff again, even after we’ve seen God work on our behalf? It’s because, even with evidence of the contrary, letting go of your own destiny and allowing someone else to fulfill it feels like suicide.
So, like hamsters on a wheel, we take control, we mess things up, we give it to God and when he fixes it, we try to take it all back. Over and over and over, we do the same things until something drastic happens to us and God gets our attention.

At the end of the day, if we look back, we’ll see that it would have been so much easier just to trust God in the first place. He’s our creator and he has our best interest at heart.  He also knows the best way to fix any situation in our lives. We trust mechanics with our cars because they know more than we do about how a car functions. God knows much more about us and about how our lives should function than we could ever imagine. Trust Him and watch him come through for you. 

5 comments:

  1. Very nice Joana! That is one of my biggest hurdles but over the years I seem to overcome it a little bit more. The closer I get with Him, the less I could care less about the some of the stuff that I used to have trouble trusting Him with.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Joan. I write this even as I struggle with my own desire to take control of my life. It is definitely not the easiest thing to do, yet, it's the wisest thing we can ever do!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good Job Joana,

    As I learn to lean not to my own understanding, I am gaining better perspective on what to do and what not to do. I know we must die daily to our sins. Challenge is we keep sinning. It make me at least often times not trust me. Learning to not hold grudges even against myself for my mistakes. I'm also learning to help others even in and during my struggle. I will be looking for more of your work. I seek your inspirational words and I hope you get a chance to check out some of mine @ http://CashFlowsToo.com.

    Again, I wish you continued success and your hearts desires. I pray you continue to grow in your trust and faith and you embrace your Faith Walk with God.

    Have a blessed day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know exactly what you mean about trusting and waiting on God =-)

    ReplyDelete