Tuesday, February 14, 2012

A Legacy of Love


A Legacy of Love
Psalm 119:28 (NIV)
My soul is weary with sorrow;
strengthen me according to your word.

I haven't seen either of them for a very long time; however, I often see their hands in my memory. Sometimes I remember the way my little-girl  hand disappeared into his large hand as we walked to the lady down the street who still had a working well in her yard. And hers – so little and yet they could reach across an octave when she played the piano with a passion that bordered on gusto.

The memory of their hands that means so much was never captured in a photo, although it remains vivid in my mind. Each of them had black leather-bound Bibles they read daily, and on some times they'd read for hours. He held the page he would be turning in his right hand. Over time, his fingertips wore pieces of the pages off. She would wet the tips of her pointer and middle finger to turn the onion-skin thin pages to find the passage she was looking for – usually with tenderness, but sometimes like an eager child opening a present from someone special.

My grandparents, Ed and Joy Johnson, loved their Bibles and even as a child with no spiritual understanding, I knew those big black books were their most valuable possessions.

I was walking into church one Sunday a few months ago. I'd been having an especially difficult time, and hadn't noticed I was literally clutching my Bible to my chest as I entered the building. The greeter said, "You love that Bible don't you?"

I looked at the large black book in my hands and said, "Yes. I do." As I waited for the service to begin, I turned to Psalm 27, her favorite passage, and smoothed the page out with my right hand – my own Bible reading ritual – knowing I was holding God's Word in my hands, loving the feel of the pages under my skin, and missing the two people who taught me its value – without ever saying a word.

Then, in the depths of my spirit, a smile formed and my lips gave it expression. My journey hadn't changed, but confidence in God and His Word grew. I released a silent prayer of thanksgiving for my grandparents left me this legacy of love for His Word.
Psalm 27:13 & 14
I remain confident of this:
I will see the goodness of the LORD
in the land of the living.
14 Wait for the LORD;
be strong and take heart
and wait for the LORD.

Written by Joy DeKok, author of Your life a Legacy

Joy started writing as a little girl. She carries a large purse so she can take her journal and an assortment of pens with her.

Joy lives on thirty-five acres of woods and field in Minnesota between Rochester and Pine Island. She’s been married to Jon for thirty-five years and they enjoy their many nieces and nephews. Their dogs, Sophie and Tucker, keep them company when they explore the land riding their John Deere Gator or while watching the many birds that visit their feeders.

She has seven books in print and is working on a novel series featuring main character, Olivia Morgan. Joy is also developing a writing group called, Write Yourself Strong, for hurting women.

Faith is a vital part of Joy’s life. When she was sixteen, Joy asked God to find her and He did.



No comments:

Post a Comment