Saturday, January 5, 2013

Passive or aggressive?

Wow! It's a new year already! 2013 is here.

About two posts ago, I warned about the pitfalls of waiting till the new year begins to make a resolution and to make changes to your life, but perhaps you haven't read that post, or perhaps you need a bigger kick in the pants. It's okay, so do I sometimes.


Today is about to mark a pivotal point for me. See, like many Christians who have been Christians for a long time, I've gotten a bit complacent and I've gotten very used to waiting. Waiting come with the territory. God never gives us what we want when we want it. In fact, most of the time, we have to wait for the right conditions in order to get what's due to us. So, we've gotten used to waiting and guess what, that can be a bad thing.

It becomes a bad thing to wait when we don't realise that there are times when we must fight instead of waiting. There are certain things that the enemy steals from us and tries to keep from us that we can only regain with a fight. Yes, a fight. I don't like fights. I run from them. When people hurl bad remarks at me, I ignore them. I cringe when I realise a situation is getting heated. So, why fight with the ultimate enemy? I've lived a very passive aggressive Christian life. I leave the devil alone, even when he messes with me, until he REALLY messes with me. Sometimes, that's a good thing but some battles can only be won if we get in the devil's face. You may be wondering why you haven't been able to become financially free, or why you haven't found a house that you can afford yet, or why your family/husband/children are causing you so much heartache.

The answer is plain and simple. The devil doesn't want to see anything you do or are involved in prosper. He declared war against you the moment you became a Christian. So how do you get passed him messing with your life? How do you regain the things he's withheld from you. It will only take a fight. Yes, a fight. I know. For a lot of us, it's a bad word but it must be done.

You see, if you continue to live your Christian life in passive mode, you will always be just treading water. You will never get passed the point where you're struggling daily. Passive mode means that you're just trying to stay alive. But guess what, the devil isn't in passive mode. He's in aggressive mode, attacking us daily. He's sending darts at our families, our finances, our health, everything that concerns us and if we continue to cower before him, before long, we'll drown.

This year, I'm declaring that I am going to be more militant about my walk. I may not like to fight, but let's face it, this is war and it's a war of epic proportions. World War 3 would not compare to the war that goes on in the heavens daily for our souls. If no one told you about this war when you became a Christian, I'd like to apologize for them and tell you now. You're in a war and if you want what's rightfully yours you have to fight for it. You have to take steps toward dominion. You have to claim it. You can no longer just sit and wait for stuff to come to you. You have to wake up in the wee hours of the morning and pray yourself and your family through. You have to walk around the bank and declare your debt cancelled. You have to drive through the neighbourhood of your choice and claim a house. You have to be radical and crazy, but most of all, you have to be militant. This Christian walk isn't for the weak. A weak person wouldn't have survived all that you already have.

It's a war folks, so fight strong.

Joana James - Author of From Redemption to MaturityTrusting God with your Future,   Nightmare at Emerald High & Alana and Alyssa's Secret & Finding Romeo 

2 comments: