Sunday, January 27, 2013

Worship God with your Life

Several months ago, I did a post called "what is worship?" And by far, it is the most popular post in this blog. Worship is an important thing. It is THE most important responsibility you and I have as Christians. It is the one job that we cannot fail it.


What struck me today is how worship propels our testimony. You see, real worship is actually a lifestyle. Not what we say in church on Sunday morning or the number of songs we sing. Singing is one way to express our worship, but our greatest act of worship is actually very silent. Our greatest act of worship is honouring God's commands. That is the most respect that you can give Him. Telling Him, "God I respect you" means absolutely nothing if you go out afterwards living life and totally ignoring what He has asked you to do.

John 4:23 is a widely referenced verse.  It says: "But the time is coming—indeed it’s here now—when true worshippers will worship the Father in spirit and in truth. The Father is looking for those who will worship him that way."

As a young girl growing up in church, I always thought that meant that I should truly mean what I say when I worship in church on a Sunday morning. Well that's only the tip of the iceberg. Worshipping truthfully means that my lifestyle must reflect what I say to God. It means that someone on the outside looking in should not be wondering about me and what I say to God because they have been seeing a different lifestyle from me. Worshipping truthfully means that our lives should be testimony to what we are saying.

You've probably heard the saying that goes "actions speak louder than words", well, it's very true. The loudest thing we can say is really what we do. A lot of people have been turned off of Christianity because of us Christians. We speak truth, but we don't live it. We tell them about a lifestyle that they should live but we don't live it ourselves. Are we really worshipping truthfully then? Or are we telling God a bunch of lies?

Worship goes beyond Sunday morning. Worship is every thing we do. Does it please God? Does it honour God? Does it respect God? Does it reflect God? Ponder that for a moment. I know that I certainly need to.

Joana James - Author of From Redemption to MaturityTrusting God with your Future,   Nightmare at Emerald High & Alana and Alyssa's Secret & Finding Romeo 

No comments:

Post a Comment