Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Afrin vs Visine

So, last week, something really funny happened to me. I only considered it funny afterwards though.

I suffer with sinus related issues and recently, I've been having trouble with my eyes. One morning last week, I woke up with a terrible burning sensation in my eyes. It was horrible and I really needed relief. I proceeded to jump out of bed and grab my bottle of Visine®  that I kept handy. I switched on the light and posed before the mirror where I held one eye open and dumped two drops of the stuff directly onto my eyeball. Then I waited for the relief.

Relief? What relief? My eye started burning even more. Now, it felt like someone had sprayed pepper directly on my eyeball. I grabbed a towel to dry up the river of tears that was flowing down my face. With one eye open and the other too hurt to even try to open, I scanned the bottle in my hand for an expiry date. That's the only way something meant to help my eyes could hurt it so badly right? Well, much to my horror, I noticed that I was not holding a bottle of Visine® in my hands, but rather, a bottle of Afrin®, a nasal spray that I use sometimes to relieve my sinus issues.

Need I say more? Well, yes, needless to say, I frantically searched for the REAL bottle of Visine® and dumped about half the contents into my eyes. Relief came.....eventually.

So what's the moral of the story? A few of my mother's clichés come to mind.

1. Look before you leap - It is always necessary to take that extra look before doing anything that may have dire consequences. Had I simply looked down at the bottle in my hand, I'd have never made that mistake. A lot of times we make decisions on the spur of the moment, without really looking at the material we have to work with. Only later do you realise that you may have wasted valuable time and material and caused irreparable damage.

2. Never take anything at face value - That bottle of Afrin® is roughly the same shape and size as my bottle of Visine®, but the content is radically different. Trust me, my eye hated me for about two days. Just because something looks like what you want does not mean that it is. We can apply that to so many things but relationships stand out first in my mind. Several times we meet someone and at first they seem like such loving, gentle people. You fall head over heels in love only to find out later that you've entered a relationship with a monster. Seriously. If you'd taken some time to look beneath the surface, a lot of heart ache could have been avoided.

So yes, I've used my embarrassing and horribly painful story to help us learn a lesson.

Remember kids: Not all that glitters is Gold! Have a wonderful day! 


This devotional post and others like it can be found in one book (kindle & paperback) for your convenience.
To order your copy, click the link below.



Joana James - Author of From Redemption to Maturity,   Nightmare at Emerald High & Alana and Alyssa's Secret  

1 comment: